Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Easter memories

March 20, 2016
LAS CRUCES  –  Elders gathering with arms full of desert materials to teach traditions to a new generation. Sweet, spicy treats that warm the heart and palate. Excited kids (including my then-small grandson) scrambling to pick up eggs and candy and break cascarones …
As I talked to people about their memories of their favorite spring outfits this week, I realized my memory banks have garnered some rich deposits during the more than two decades since I moved to the Mesilla Valley. Many of the best center around this time of year.
I’ve been privileged to sit and spend some time in the village of Tortugas, while residents shared stories, prepared traditional feast foods and just before Easter, gathered to make ramos. One of the years I visited, they’d gathered stacks of yucca palm fronds, fragrant cedar branches, stacks of yucca palm fronds, river reeds, Spanish Dagger and other desert plants to make their beautiful organic high desert county bouquets for Palm Sunday celebrations at the Sanctuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe. Some of the people I talked to had been making ramos for half a century and they were a little concerned about passing on a tradition that dates back more than a century here. I hope it’s all going well, and that the congregation has a good supply of ramos for today’s services.
There are some lovely places here to celebrate a seasonal message of hope and rebirth. The Mesilla Valley is blessed with some beautiful churches, from the adobe grandeur of San Albino Basilica in the Mesilla Plaza to the unique and beautiful new chapel at Holy Cross Retreat.
And our multicultural populace finds intriguing ways to add to spiritual celebrations with our own All-American and Southwestern touches. 
I’ve had fun sampling several versions of capirotada, a traditional Mexican bread pudding that’s great for breakfast, lunch and/or supper, and traditionally involves bread, nuts, cheese, dried fruits, cinnamon and other spices. My all-time fave versions are conjured up right here in the Mesilla Valley, with native pecans and green chile.
Everything is better with chile, any time of year, and I’ve discovered it’s also a fine addition to traditional Easter foods of my Midwestern tribe. Anything horseradish can do, chile can do better, and I’ve become semi-famous in my native and adopted homelands, for my fusion specialty: green chile deviled eggs.
I’m willing to share: just use your own favorite recipe for deviled eggs, add finely chopped green chiles to the filling and dust the top of each egg with red or green chile pepper powder instead of paprika.
And speaking of eggs, there are lots of multicultural ways to have fun with a more secular symbol of the season.
I once spent a fun weekend embellishing white, tan and brown eggs with motifs inspired by ancient Mimbres pottery.
Artist and Mesilla historian Preciliana Sandoval first introduced me to cascarones, egg shells filled with confetti which you can throw or break with (or on) friends. Preciliana’s version is a tiny piñata on a stick. It’s made with an egg shell dyed a bright fiesta color on a wand with fringed crepe paper, filled with Tootsie Rolls, as well as the usual confetti. They’ve been an hit with friends and family members from Oregon to our Las Cruces Sister City of Nienburg, Germany.
I love Christmas, but the older I get, the more I have come to appreciate Easter. Christmas is a pledge and promise born and Easter is love, hope and faith reborn, an adult mission fulfilled. It’s the perfect time to ponder what our best selves might be and how great and noble aspirations could be realized.
This is a season to contemplate the best of what has been and what could be.
S. Derrickson Moore may be reached at  575-5450, dmoore@lcsun-news.com or @derricksonmoore on Twitter.


No comments: