Friday, June 12, 2015

The Wit and Wisdom of Alexander the Great



I know the stereotypes.
When many in my Las Cruces circle of friends began to greet our first grandchildren, we started to joke about the grandparent pod people, our own special cult of card-carrying (and photograph-packing) proud progenitors of the world’s greatest grandchildren.
The thing is, in my case, it’s the truth.
Honest.
With grandson Alex, it was love and pride at first sight and a boon companionship from the get-go.
When he composed little contrapuntal symphonies in the bathtub as a toddler, I sang along.
When two psychics told me he is the reincarnation of John Lennon (one hedged a bit and said he might have been Stevie Ray Vaughan), I maintained an open mind, and collected his wry, Lennon-esque drawings-with-attitude.
It was clear from the beginning that we are two old souls in cosmic cahoots who can leapfrog over mere generational obstacles.
It’s true that he has occasionally acted like a child or later, an adolescent, but then, so have I.
We are poets and songwriters who sometimes see agonizing truths about the world, but who also dream of better worlds and ask, “Why not?”
During the rare month we just spent together, he continued to astonish me.
We had an in-depth discussion of the benefits of organic remedies and exercise, and the role of serotonin, dopamine and other chemicals in pain control.
“You pay now, or you pay later with that stuff,” Alex said, who feels there are similar consequences when you party too hearty.
“Getting drunk is just a way to try to borrow happiness from the future,” he opined.
I discovered that music and audio engineering are his first career choices, but genetics is running a close third.
He’s excited about the potentials of stem cell research and genetic engineering.
But like many of his generation, he is concerned about the ecology and feels that we should be cautious about the impact of GMOs.
If it’s something that improves life, great, but if the only motive is corporate profits and there are side effects that threaten or damage the ecology, that’s a different story.
“I don’t enjoy genetics for capitalism,” rather than the greater good of humankind and the environment, he said.
My impression is that the millennials are kind of throwbacks to their tree-hugging, protesting, grandparents’ generation, but Alex isn’t so sure.
“I don’t understand people who say they aren’t into politics. Don’t they care who runs things?”
One of his primary pastimes is thinking, another trait we share.
“When I see people, I always wonder what they’re thinking about. I don’t understand people who don’t think,” he said.
We agreed it’s something to think about.
We made T-shirts for his band, >tree, and discussed videos and marketing in these tough times for artists and musicians.
He taught me how to voice-text, shut down unused, energy-draining apps and explained assorted other mysteries of my iPhone. He set up my still-in-the-box-since-Christmas Nikon and got some entertaining shots at Cinco de Mayo.
He assembled my brand-new, super-duper, state-of-the-art-vacuum and used nearly all of its exotic attachments to clean places that haven’t been cleaned in longer that I wish to contemplate, let alone admit.
Groceries that would provision me for weeks vanished in a couple of days, supplemented by frequent trips to his favorite burrito emporium and protein shakes after workouts. But he seemed to grow taller, leaner and more muscular by the day. That was an 18-year-old metabolic trick he couldn’t teach me, alas.
I’m not sure what I taught him. But I hope our visit was a reminder that he has a grandmother who still glimpses the soulful, funny and creative child she has always adored, and admires the man he is growing up to be. And loves him, of course.
A lot.
S. Derrickson Moore may be reached at dmoore@lcsun-news.com, @derricksonmoore on Twitter and Tout, or call 575-541-5450.

No comments: