Tuesday, April 14, 2015

April 12: FOR REAL LUXURY, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME



BY S.DERRICKSON MOORE
Some people think of luxury in terms of expense and extravagance.
I prefer two out of three definitions of luxury from Merriam-Webster.com: “a condition or situation of great comfort, ease, and wealth;” and “something that is helpful or welcome and that is not usually or always available.”
Personally, I’d just as soon eliminate that dictionary’s other definition of luxury: “something that is expensive and not necessary.”
I’ve been around the planet for a while, and I’ve never really understood the lure of coveting something just because it costs big bucks, for status or for competitive, slap-in-the-face, dog-in-the-manger motives.
I’ve learned that some luxuries, like many of the best things in life, are free. Several zillionaires in their penthouses in the Northeast were still suffering from dreary skies and frigid temperatures when we were weeks into an early spring, enjoying bright blue skies and flowering trees and shrubs. True, those folks have the means to escape, but they still have to make arrangements to get away and trudge through the gray snowdrifts to get to their helicopters or limousines to transport them to their private jets. We have the luxury of merely opening our doors or looking out our office windows.
I was thinking of those first two definitions of luxury on a recent Saturday morning. I lingered in bed for an extra hour or two (a luxury after a few years of working on Saturdays), before ambling downtown to check out the Las Cruces Farmers’ and Crafts Market. I picked up perfect tomatoes and chose thick stalks of purple asparagus from my two favorite sources. (I won’t reveal booth locations; you should have the luxury — and fun — of discovering your favorite vendors yourself.)
The world was my luxurious oyster. I had the free time, the energy and the mobility (my sometimes-achy knees were cooperating that day) to do whatever I wanted. I could walk the acequias, shop, or stroll around the Mesilla Plaza, one of my favorite places in the world.
I could go swimming for $1 in our beautiful city aquatic center or stop in at my health club where monthly dues (including pool, two whirlpool hot tubs, saunas, fully-equipped workout facilities and an assortment of fun fitness classes) are less than a night’s parking at one of my favorite luxury hotels in Santa Fe. And by the by, that upscale hotel doesn’t offer spa facilities.
And speaking of resorts, I’ve been fortunate to stay in some multi-star doozies. But I’ve never experienced quite the degree of great comfort and ease I’ve felt on a good day in my own cozy little semi-adobe abode, particularly after I’ve done a major cleaning, stocked the fridge and pantry with healthy goodies and maybe cooked and decorated to share a nice dinner with friends and family.
In spite of (or maybe because of) exotic trips, upscale resorts, drinks, meals, yacht cruises and adventures I’ve enjoyed all over the world, I’ve come to realize there’s nothing quite as luxurious as an environment you’ve created to suit yourself.
After a productive day at work, a long walk, or creatively doing nothing on a sunny weekend day, a just-right bed awaits me with soft, clean sheets, colorful quilts and down and memory foam pillows. I once stayed in a place with a pillow concierge, but I’ve “curated” my own perfect collection over the years, thank you very much.
Every piece of art is exactly my taste. The shelves are stocked with intriguing books. The flowers I love most are growing on my back patio. I know how the TV and remote work and how to choose my favorite movies. I can enjoy a very fresh salad made just the way I like it with what I have found to be the world’s best tomatoes and asparagus.
The ultimate luxury in life just might be the ability to appreciate and enjoy what you already have in your own little home, sweet home.
S. Derrickson Moore may be reached at dmoore@lcsun-news.com on Twitter and Tout @DerricksonMoore on Twitter, or call 575-541-5450.

No comments: